Monday, February 15, 2010

Green Curry, Zucchini Bread, Waffles, and John Denver



What do these things have in common, you ask? Well - nothing really. Except that JD is who I was listening to a I made all three of these things tonight. The curry turned out good (though not very spicy - I was running out of curry paste). The waffles are a new recipe I am trying out (more on that, later) for Overnight Yeasted Waffles. I plan on eating them with honeyed yogurt and berries and mango. MMM....almost healthy.

The zucchini bread however....oh so sad. I have been struggling with this particular recipe for a while now. It is one of my FAVORITE things that my mom used to make and it is generally a foolproof, easy recipe.

Until you get to high altitude.

I have been living at altitude (usually around 6500 feet) for the last few winters, and I have gotten pretty good and adapting recipes. But no matter what I try with this one, I never seem to get it to turn out right. I have tried decreasing the sugar, adding an egg, adding flour, decreasing baking soda and powder and even playing with oven temperatures, but it ALWAYS seems to fall. It still tastes pretty good - it just doesn't have the right texture. Although it DOES still have the crunchy delicious sugary part on the top (which is the best part anyway!)

So although I am not taking it out for any fancy dress parties, I will eat my zucchini bread happily, still wondering where I went wrong.

Zucchini Bread
my mom's recipe

*Note, despite its name, this is NOt a healthy recipe. ALthough I guess you could theoretically substitute some applesauce or yogurt for some of the oil and sugar. I guess. But, really, why would you?

Beat 3 eggs, then add in order:
3/4 cup of oil
2 1/4 cup of sugar
2 cups grated zucchini (squeeze out the excess water)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Beat all ingredients together, making sure to mix well. Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour in a greased and floured pan - 1 bundt pan or two loaf pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment